A couple of years ago I started walking, and a bit like Forrest Gump, I’ve found it hard to stop. A 5km race was followed by a 10km, the 10km by a marathon, just the one of course to get it off the ‘bucket list’. Well, several marathons (and longer distances) later, and I’m still going.
I tried to run once but I found the world went by too fast. Now, I’m hardly pootling along when I walk, I often break into a good old sweat, but I can still take in everything around me. And it gives me time to think or time to clear my mind and focus on my goal. It also keeps me fit, and during marathon training keeps my clothes a little looser. There are so many reasons to love walking (I’m also a bit of a magpie and will knock down my own mother to get a medal).
Since the beginning of 2017 I’ve started teaching power walking and Nordic walking and have qualified as a Fitness walking instructor (YMCA).
I’ve made mistakes, some I’ve learned from, others I’m still working on but I keep going. I hope this site will inspire others to get their trainers on and walk*. So please enjoy, share and get moving.
Events in 2020
- Walking the Radd Ny Foillan (95 miles)
- Walk of Life (26.2 miles)
- Wild Wye Swim (7km)
- Great South (10 miles)
A selection of my previous events
- Walk of Life – 2017 (26.2 miles), 2019 (10 miles)
- International Four Days Marches Nijmegen (100 miles) – 2016
- Parish Walk, Isle of Man – 2013 (18 miles), 2014 (20 miles), 2015 (32.5 miles)
- Race for Life Marathon – 2015
- Médoc Marathon – 2014 (1/2 marathon), 2015 (26.2 miles)
- LA Marathon – 2014
- Walk the Walk Moonwalk London (26.2 miles) – 2013, 2014, 2016
Charities I support
*Please seek medical advice before undertaking any physical or dietary changes to your lifestyle.